Kakheti is a province in Eastern Georgia. It is bordered by the small mountainous province of Tusheti and mountain-range of Greater Caucasus to the north, Azerbaijan to the east and the south, and the Georgian province of Kartli to the west. Kakheti is geographically divided into the Inner Kakheti to the east of Tsiv-Gombori mountain-range and the Outer Kakheti to the west of it. The major river of the eastern part is Alazani, of the western part – Iori. Kakhetians speak a local dialect of Georgian.
The Georgian David Gareja monastery complex is partially located in this province and is subject to a border dispute between Georgian and Azerbaijani authorities.
Beyond the modern-day administrative subdivision into the districts, Kakheti has traditionally being subdivided into four parts: Inner Kakheti along the right bank of the Alazani River, Outer Kakheti along the middle Iori River basin, Qiziki between the Alazani and the Iori, and Thither Area on the left bank of the Alazani. It also include
s the medieval region of Hereti whose name fell into gradual oblivion since the 15th century.
The Alazani River Plain, with the Caucasus Mountains in the background Kakheti was an independent feudal principality from the end of the eighth century. It was incorporated into the united Georgian Kingdom at the beginning of the eleventh century, but for less than a decade. Only in the beginning of the twelfth century did Georgian King David the Builder (1089–1125) incorporate Kakheti to his Kingdom successfully. After the disintegration of the Georgian Kingdom, Kakheti became an independent Kingdom in the 1460s. In 1762, the Kakhetian Kingdom was united with the neighboring Georgian Kingdom of Kartli, with the capital of the former, Telavi, becoming the capital of the united Eastern-Georgian Kingdom of Kartl-Kakheti. Both Kingdoms were weakened by frequent Persian invasions. In 1801 the Kingdom of Kartl-Kakheti was annexed to the Tsarist Russian Empire.
In 1918–1921 Kakheti was part of independent Democratic Republic of Georgia, in 1922–1936 part of Transcaucasian SFSR and in 1936–1991 part of Georgian SSR. Since the Georgian independence in 1991, Kakheti is a region in the Republic of Georgia and Telavi is still its capital.
Places tu Visit:
Nekresi (4the century)
Old and new Shuamta ( 5th-6th century)
David Gareji Monastery (6th century)
Alaverdi Cathedral church (6th century)
Tower Town Kvetera (8th century)
Alexsandre Chavchavdze museum (18-19th century)
Lagodekhi and Vashlovani reserves and others